I was very fortunate to receive an Epson V370 scanner as a Christmas gift (thank you Lyn…), and have had the chance over the last couple of days to start to come to grips scanning 35mm film for the first time.
These are some of the first scans of a roll of 35mm film I shot back in early 2017 using an Olympus Trip 35. The film, Lomography 800, was processed at my local photo shop.
All scans were done on the Epson V370 at 2400dpi with the auto exposure setting, then the resulting TIFF files were taken into Luminar 2019 for some “touching up”. This touching up involved, in most cases, reducing highlights slightly, bringing up shadows a wee bit, and mildly tweaking the overall image with Luminar’s AI Boost feature.
On one or two of the photos I also added a small amount of noise reduction to smooth out the obvious 800ASA grain, and Luminar’s ERASE function came in handy to remove blemishes and other distractions.
Using Luminar again has been a bit of a turnaround for me as I told myself I would not use it again because of the delays in Skylum adding the DAM (digital asset module) to it, but I decided to reinstall it, update it and give it another try…and so far, so good!
While not a true DAM, the new module does add some very useful image browsing features which make the new Luminar a lot easier to use.
In addition I tried ImageOptim for the first time. ImageOptim is a Mac only image optimization app that features a drag-and-drop function for optimizing images which are then saved over the top of the starting image. This means that any images must be copies before starting otherwise they are effectively lost when overwritten – a bit of a trap for your players…